Monday, October 03, 2011

Muddiness

this text I wrote (on a notepad) on my way back from office to home today on bus.... this city (Bangalore) is doing strange things to me... today i had an urge to write....for a moment i thought it wont come out good as thoughts are staggered but then decide to write just what is going on in mind...

--The more I read on Vedas the less I am becoming inclined to follow the religious rituals and religion too.Given up not eating non veg on every Thursday of week.It didn't sound right for some reason though I have been following it religiously for years. Practicing religion is to be set by someone or each of us can choose their own path? Through reading and videos I agree on the fact that what we cannot define/know we try to associate that to GOD. Journey of Life-- I have tried to dwell on this topic for past several weeks :listening to lectures by Vedanta gurus, listening to lectures by Sadhguru, going through the excellent documentaries of BBC on Mohammad (Islam), Atheism and The Incredible Human Journey. The concept of GOD is as old as we are on this planet and over the years we have made lot of scientific progress to put a logical reason to things that happen around us. This has reduced the scope of what GOD can do but still leaves a vast area where he is the reason behind. I find myself more of a fence sitter debating which side to take ( believe in GOD or not).
I had always got a  liking for astrology - mystery part of it made it exciting to read but then lately  I have stopped believing in it altogether. Earlier also inclination wasn't that great but I liked reading on it. Now since the new awakening through Vedanta reading I feel drawn more and more away from it. It is interesting to see myself  how much influence readings have on ones outlook and  beliefs in life. The recent visit to a temple left me wondering if capitalism and commercialization has taken away the meaning of the activity what the place was meant to be. Right from the entrance to the exit path place was filled with shops selling items more directed towards the woman segment as they happen to be more regular on such places. Maybe it is required to sustain and maintain the upkeep of temple but I doubt that. How much can be associated to that? Do temple have accounts which need to be published? their might be an outrage I guess if this is asked for? ...this leads to other thought of temple is a safe means of investing the black money and then reaping rewards on same? but how?? and what's the purpose. Looking from business angle it is the easier to do in order to attract crowd and hence prospects of getting more share of their spend. FAITH is very strong force and many people pay loads of sum to temple but will fight on with financially poor person (Maid/Gardner/ Gatekeeper/Garbage cleaner) if they ask for more money for their work which may be reasonable as well most of the times.
In my view most of us have ended up taking religion as it was already practiced by the family we were born in. Even though we study science in school applying it to religion is still thought to be not correct. Likely as it shakes the long held belief /FAITH. I also find it hard at times to convince myself why I am doing something in religious context? Does it makes any meaning? Why all over world different religions have certain strict norms to follow and if one does not do rituals he becomes a maverick.
Another interesting point to ponder at is there are loads of swamis and gurus in this country and each seems to convince his followers that he is leading them to the right path of awakening or many people may end up following blindly as well. World has become more and more urban but our idea of religion has stayed in rural land. One ? again occupied my thought... Do all religious figures and swami/guru are vegetarians in India? is it the same outside India? especially when talking of Hinduism?
Reflections on experience is what we call as Wisdom ( a recent learning from Gita class...) . So experience alone cannot make us wise if we don't reflect upon it. Always running in morning to catch a bus happens to be one of my experiences which has not been reflected upon....or more correctly even though reflected but no corrective action taken. Is it ok or not? it depends on the gravity of the issue at hand and personal conviction to bring out the change in ones lifestyle.

Is there a meaning to life? --I was searching for an answer to this for quite some time and then i stumbled upon a video by Sadhguru where he says Life has no meaning ... It is too huge to a meaning to itself.
As per my little understanding so far Vedas focus more on making ones life as productive as possible by concentrating on the present and keeping mind under control through intellect.

Even though I have read/seen a lot in past 2-3 months it has not motivated me to change my habits... (or as they say in veda... mind is not in control of the intellect). I keep that lax attitude ...also too long not being exercising/playing outdoors to keep the body active and a sedentary job are contributors as well apart from the most prominent -"ME".
I am motivated at times but then it seems to fizzle out and then cycle repeats after a while. Drug dosage which help in sustaining is missing... what that drug should be is a good ?  Mind is full of thoughts which seem to originating from nowhere ...now I know the source is vasana which is responsible for the thoughts but I cant control anything there but to apply intellect to judge on the thought coming out....

Traveling in bus in dim lights gives ample time to reflect upon as well if one wishes too apart from usual..zzzzzzz.

-If you have read this till the end....kudos ! as its quite hard to follow my random thoughts coming from vasana :). 

No comments: